We’re still here, but everything adoption related is still on hold.
Unfortunately, we lost Karl’s dad after a short illness, a couple of weeks ago. We’re still trying to come to terms with that, but also with the fact that we’ve spent nearly all our savings now on traveling backwards and forwards to the UK to spend as much time with him as we could. Any money we have left now needs to go towards my green card application (Karl’s work will pay for his). Which means the adoption will have to be on hold now indefinitely.
If we can get the green card quickly enough (we’ve been told it may only take a year for Karl), we may look into doing foster-adopt. That’s relatively cheap (I hate putting a cost to these things), and will get us to parenthood much faster than having to wait for our savings to build up again. But, we’ll see how things go.